In late 1894, Priscilla Peckover handed the Ladies' Peace Auxiliary and the Local Peace Association movement over to Ellen Robinson, a fellow Quaker and long-standing colleague in the peace movement. Robinson reorganised the Auxiliary, renaming it the Peace Union, and began to work for the establishment of a union of women's peace societies across Europe and North America. This union, despite the Peace Society's reservations in relation to the International Peace Bureau about linking itself with European movements, received notice in the Herald for its ‘truly international and widely useful’ work. This chapter explores how the fact that both Robinson and Peckover's first work was done locally suggests that their approach differed significantly from the men's peace movements of this period. The contributions of Peckover and Robinson to pacifist feminist ideas can be seen in the impact that both had upon the roles of women within the peace movement, especially the Peace Society.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.